Sunday, July 10, 2011

An actual Sunday.

For the whole week - well, really the entire last...six years? - but mostly yesterday, I found myself typing and working and writing away on the computer thinking, "I wonder what it's like to have the type of job where you don't feel obligated to fill in any and all free time with more work. Like, as a musician, free time equals "more practice time." And as an educator, weekends equal "two days that you have to get ready for the next week of classes."

And, because the universe likes to times things just so, I found myself today answering a phone call from a friend (really the only real girl friend I have here in TX) who lives 45 minutes away, but who goes to church five minutes from where Schmoobles and I live, wanting to know if I was available to hang out after she was done with the service. So I opened up the computer, finished up the very last bit of work that I had to get done before tomorrow, vacuumed the condo, fed the animals, took a quick shower all in time for her to come over. And then I made some spinach, onion, tomato and goat cheese flat breads with egg and coffee and watched the season premiere of Big Brother (woot!). And then we meandered over to our fabulous neighborhood country club Rich People Swimming Pool where we managed to bypass the $100+/mo membership fees by slipping them $5 instead and spent the afternoon poolside drinking cocktails and eating nachos, people watching (i.e. judging) all the wealthy elite of our community with their pulled up brows and inflated chesticles and ill-mannered children. It was pretty entertaining.

Though it doesn't happen very often, being able to spend a day off as an actual day off and enjoying the good life, even if you are just playing pretend, is nice every once in a while. But, in a weird way, I'm grateful that it's not the norm. As I told my friend, you'd probably stop appreciating it after a while. Not us, though...

They take your drink orders from the adjoining bar/restaurant. And then serve it to you in the pool. Criminy!

4 comments:

  1. Can we talk about Big Bro for a minute? What's up with Danielle's hair? Why does she look like she's going in the DR for her methedone? Why did they bring back Rachel? Now I feel like I need to watch the show on mute with subtitles. Why did the Regulators blow the opportunity to join up with the experienced HGs and pick those other four newbies off?

    But also? That's a damn nice pool. We just found a beach with booze service. I dare to dream of the day when we'll take a taxi there and leave the kids with a sitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! You're a BB fan too! Yay! It is summer guilty pleasure central :)

    1. I thought Danielle was sickly looking when she was on originally. I think the dark hair just exacerbates the look. But there was a quick shot of her in a bikini in the previews and I think she might have a slight gut now. Super skinny but bloated gut = not a good look. I'm scared to think of what she and Daddy Dearest did to themselves the last few years... They do not look healthy AT ALL.

    2. OMG Brenchel. Her voice. is. awful. But, in a weird way, I almost find Brendon more repulsive because he is such a wimp. At least Rachel competes!

    3. Very few of the newbies are impressing me so far. The blonde "VIP cocktail waitress" needs to GO. Cassi is so attractive I want to instinctively hate her...but I like her goddamnit. She is a good foil the cocktail waitress. I can't even remember her name. I want to root for Dominic because I think he is part-Filipino, but I fear he may have too big of an ego for so early on. We'll see... And the "real-life Carrie Bradshaw"? Ugh.

    4. Whenever Jeff and Jordan are on screen, I immediately see unicorns and cotton candy. They are so cute. Jordan may have gotten even dumber since their season, but she is so cute! Like a puppy.

    5. If I don't end up really rooting for any of the newbies, I think I'd want the prize to go to Jeff. Maaaybe Danielle. As long as she doesn't spend it all on meth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, and a booze beach sounds heavenly. I hope you get to go enjoy soon!

    I think the wait staff at our Rich People Pool could tell we were impostors when I saw them serve drinks to some men in the pool the first time and exclaimed, "You get to drink IN the pool?! Whoa!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also find Brandon more repulsive. He's one of those super dumb people who thinks he's smart. Blech.

    I saw Evel Dick once, maybe last winter? He was sitting in front of Target smoking. At first I couldn't place where I recognized him from and I was like, "Whoa, what happened to me that I know that crack head over there? Did I black out and go on a crack binge?" But then I realized it was ED and I was relieved to simply know him from vapid summer TV watching. Much more my style.

    ReplyDelete