Monday, June 13, 2011

The joys of having a loving and caring mother.

Apparently my mother thinks I may have a drinking problem. Because having more than one cocktail per month with dinner is cause for alarm. Yes, I'm thirty-one years old. And sometimes while cooking dinner I fix myself a cocktail to enjoy, of which I generally drink half and toss the rest down the sink.

Mother, on the phone: "So... I notice on your blog that you've been drinking quite a bit..."
Stubborn Tomato: "Really? You realize that I drink like half a cocktail every other day, right?"
Mother: "Every other day?"
Stubborn Tomato: "And that every time I have a drink I write about it on my blog because I'm bored?"
Mother: "Well, still..."
Stubborn Tomato: "Oh my god. If I have any more than two shots, or a glass of wine or a bottle of beer, I will fall asleep."
Mother: "But that means you're getting ...drunk!"
Stubborn Tomato: "No, it means my tolerance is spectacularly low and I get sleepy after one drink."
Mother: "And you drink...whisky! That's hard liquor!"
Stubborn Tomato: "Because if I drink wine, I get a headache. And if I drink beer, I get bloated and burpy!"
Mother: "Well... I just want you to know that I'm concerned. The addictive personality runs in our family, you know."
Stubborn Tomato: "Okaaay..."
Mother: "Not like your dad's. He's so disciplined."
Stubborn Tomato: "Mmhmm..."
Mother: "So just be careful, okay? Don't drink too much..."
Stubborn Tomato: "Okay mom."
Mother: "But keep writing about it. So I know."
Stubborn Tomato: "Okay mom..."


Speaking of, there's this:


I may or may not have twiddled my pointer finger next to my temple at one point across the bar and shouted, "Sarah Palin?! Are you serious? She's a doofus! She's NOT SMART!" Oy.

So there. I had a whisky sour and a half (got too sleepy to finish...see Mom?!) while out at dinner with Schmoobs last night and blatantly challenged some grizzly-bearded strangers' political leanings with apparently no regard for my personal safety.

And now I promise to not have another adult beverage for the rest of the week.

1 comment: