Friday, June 17, 2011

So I Think So You Think You Can Dance Is Awesome: Week 1.

Reasons I love SYTYCD:

1. These contestants have true talent, artistry and skill. Talent that you know has taken countless hours of intense work over years and years to develop. And skill that hasn't been manufactured in a recording studio. And artistry that doesn't necessitate stage pyrotechnics. *coughAmericanIdolcough*

2. Watching these dancers provides me the motivation in the evening to get my ass off the couch and down on the floor of our living room to at least do some stretching and Pilates or something. I mean. It's either that or throw myself out the window.

IMPULSE GOAL! Be able to do the splits again before my 32nd birthday. 11 months. Here we gooo!

This season's dancers are effing spectacular. Can we just cancel the eliminations and spend the entire season watching all of them dance every week? Seriously. At the end we can just pull a name out of a hat and declare a winner.

No, but out of all the routines, Turn To Stone was by far my favorite. I may or may not have gotten verklempt. And you know it's for true appreciation of their artistry because I'm not due to get my Pre-Monthly Confirmation That I Am Without Child for another two weeks.


And can I say I love that she is powerful and not an anorexic waif of a dancer? And he apparently survived a mugging and still has a bullet lodged in his shoulder. Bad Ass.

According to the choreographer Travis Wall, the storyline is about two statues who start off being apart. At nighttime they dance. Their motivation is to return as one statue. Notice the beginning and ending poses. Glack! I die!

...

I was all set to follow up with elimination commentary, but apparently the judges couldn't figure out which two to eliminate so everybody stays this week. See? What did I tell you. Keep everybody. Whee!

2 comments:

  1. OK, I haven't watched it since I'm at work and that would just be bad example to my minions. But... I think I saw something similar as a Cirque du Soleil act years ago. Yeah, makes you feel like a slob and motivates you to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I know that Cirque act you're talking about! This is cool, but different. I think the Cirque act was more strength/flexibility and this is more, well, dance.

    ReplyDelete