Friday, December 4, 2015

Merry Blogmas 2015: Day Four

I did this thing in the kitchen last night/this morning.

I started off--the way I start off 99% of my dinner dishes--by sauteing garlic and onions in a pan with olive oil. Then I added some ground bison (!) to brown. At this point, I started seasoning: salt, pepper, the usual. Then I started throwing things in from the fridge that need to get used up before they go bad. In this case, it was half a bag of shredded carrots, our final remaining summer garden eggplant, and one bunch of kale. At this point, I decided that the dish was starting to take on some kind of Middle Eastern-ish vibe (maybe it was the eggplant?) so I got funky and sprinkled on some garam masala. I think I was searching for the nutmeg in our horribly unorganized (for shame) spice cupboard and gave up after ten seconds, so I figured garam masala would do the trick. Finally, I threw all caution to the wind and topped it all off with a handful of raisins and sliced almonds.


Meanwhile, I had halved, seasoned, and baked a butternut squash that had been sitting and being neglected in our fridge for like over a month. I have no idea how long butternut squashes stay good, but apparently it is forever forever ever forever ever. I think I probably roasted it for twenty minutes at 400 degrees. Or something like that.

Anyway. When it was all ready to finish, I scooped the Improvisatory Meat Mixture into the squash halves, shredded a poop ton of goat cheddar cheese on top, and baked it at 450 degrees for probably another ten minutes. Et voila!


Oh. And then I had Improvisatory Meat Mixture leftovers, so I decided to make an omelet the next morning.

Wait, I'm leaving something out.

With dinner, Professor Schmooblins and I enjoyed a martini. And then I enjoyed a mar-two-ni. And then my body reminded me that I am very obviously no longer in my twenties, so I shriveled up into a miserable dehydrated mess, suffered through a fitful night of gin-and-olive-juice-marinated sleep, and woke up needing to guzzle a gallon of water. And needing something fatty and meaty and eggy to wake up my shriveled up old cells. So I decided to make an omelet.

Please, let's take a moment together to marvel at how beautifully my gorgeous Mauviel carbon steel pan cooks eggs. The pan was a wedding gift and weighs about fifty billion pounds. I've legit nearly snapped my wrist on more than one occasion attempting to lift it out of the oven with one hand while it was full of something delicious (probably meat). Also, I failed at like my first two attempts at seasoning it. But the beauty of this pan is that it forgives and forgives and forgives. And it makes beautiful eggs, especially when you coat it first with a healthy amount of butter. Duh.


I mean. Just look at that soft, buttery, pillowy goodness.

I need a moment.


Ok, I'm back. When the eggs are just only a little bit runny on top, dump your leftovers from the previous night and fold it over. Ta da! You officially have an omelet.


Serve with a leftover risotto ball, sprinkle with hot sauce (and ketchup, if you're nasty, which I am). Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and a gallon of water.


Then jump in the shower and do your best to try and get through the work day even though all you want to do is stay at home in a deliciously cozy couch blanket burrito cocoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment