Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Merry Blogmas 2015: Day One (...and Two!)

(One day late. Because, of course.)

There's this thing that Youtubers and vloggers do every December called "Vlogmas." Essentially, you upload one video every day starting on December 1 up until Christmas. It must be an offshoot of the whole NaNoWriMo thing. Anyway, not important. What is important is that since I'm trying to start up this new blahg, I should really take this opportunity to force myself into doing a Blogmas this month. Even if I am a day late.

That being said--Greetings from my Office Job 2 desk! By way of introduction, perhaps I should go into a little background. I am a fourth-year doctoral student in musicology. "What even is musicology, Acadaemia Nut?" you might ask. Musicology could be a myriad of wonderful and magical things.

It could be this, for example:

Thank you, Prince.

Some fools might say it's this:

Screw you, Urban Dictionary. You don't know me.

But in reality, it's totally this:







Ahahaha. Hahahaha. Sigh.

So, long story short, I finished my third and final year of doctoral coursework last year, passed my qualifying exams, defended my dissertation prospectus, achieved ABD status, felt pretty good about myself for about two months, got married, etc. The only bad thing (Well, not the ONLY bad thing. See above memes.) about all this is that my program only offers three years of assistantship funding--which is a whole entire source of extended and intensive grievances.

Which is why I find myself here. A mid-thirties humanities graduate student, working two office jobs (both at the University), freelancing on the side, and dreaming of a life in which I am finally a salaried, self-sufficient, adult human being. But in the meantime, I guess I'll keep on trying to work on this goddamn dissertation.

Alright. Until tomorrow, then.

Merry Blogmas!

Merry Blahgmas!

Bah Humblahgmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment